March 14, 2008

Just for Sydney. (My Sweep Policy Myspace Blog)

Due to my lack of time, this blog might suck.
Therefore my grammar and usage probably makes no sense.

Kid.
He’s power-walking down the halls while trying to dodge the ignorant clumps of slow or unmoving people. He has prioritized his time so that he can walk from one end of the campus to the opposite pole just in time. However, his stubborn teacher claimed that her lesson was not over, and "the bell doesn’t dismiss the class," she does. He quickens his pace as he realizes how much further he has to walk to get to his next class. Why does the campus seem so long?
*DSAOFIEAGIHAOWTHL*
That was the minute bell.
At least he made it into the hallway. He swings the heavy, green doors open. Running the rest of the way to his isolated class room, he is stalled again by 35 students blocking the hallway, waiting for their absent-minded teacher to arrive (late yet again). He attempts to weave through the densly-packed crowd of bodies while receiving dirty looks and shoves. As soon as he is freed, he catches the eye contact of his next hour teacher, holding the classroom door open. He sprints down the long hallway, again trying to dodge others sprinting in the other direction. He is within 10 feet of the classroom door, and suddenly,
*DING DING DING DING*
The final bell has rung.
He gives up from his haste and struggles to the classroom. He looks up at his teacher’s eyes again. The teacher waves goodbye and shuts the classroom door--right in his face.


Doesn’t that seem like a likely story?


Now, the time we have between classes is not what is getting under my skin (at this moment. that, my friend, is another blog), it’s the stupid sweep policy.

Teachers often state on the first day of school that "it is their job to help you succeed"...or something along those words. Am I right?
Don’t teachers want their students to succeed? Won’t it look bad on their behalf if their classes are failing?
Well...to succeed in that said class, should you have to attend that class, even if you were 5 seconds late? Sending that student to sweep not only deprives them of the lesson that day, but it also takes them one step back from success.
And to throw it out there, isn’t grading late work a pain for teachers? Pfft. I know I’d be irritated.
Okay, so I know if a student is 5 minutes late, that’s ridiculous, but 5 seconds and off to sweep?? That is ridiculous. And to top that off, when you get sent back to class by sweep, that just makes you 10 more minutes late. Wtf, mate.

I used to know of a teacher. She was a great teacher. Sadly, she doesn’t teach at Millennium anymore.
She used to love teaching-- I know it. She used to say, "Nobody better ditch my class, and if you are in sweep, I will hunt you down!" (Or something like that.) She used to say that because she wanted her students to succeed. She didn’t want them to waste a precious class period in sweep, when instead, they could be LEARNING. Isn’t that what we’re supposed to do, anyway? LEARN? I think so.
Pfft. If I was a teacher, I’d take the same attitude as the teacher I mentioned above.



I could ramble on and on about the subject. But, what I’m trying to say is that teachers need to be practical when it comes to sending their students to sweep. Not only does it make you look like a dick-headed teacher, you’re stifling the student’s success and undermining your reputation as a teacher.

If a kid is a few feet away from the classroom after the final bell rings, would it really hurt to just let him in?

1 comment:

The Hawk's Prettiest Daughter said...

Oh Monica, you are absolutely amazing to me! Thanks for posting this for me. I enjoyed it very much.

p.s. You should write a blog about you being "passive agressive" lol.